Chipstead Village

Surrey

Village Archive

The Village Archive offers a wonderful exploration of Chipstead through the ages, mainly seen through the writings of residents, past and present.

It is the brainchild of our former Village Archivist, Rupert Courtenay Evans and Barry Pepper, who led the team developing this website. Over the years Rupert has collected many books, photographs and records which form the village archive. An index of what we have is included here.

In 2011 Rupert and Barry decided that it would be a good idea to digitise parts of the written archive and put it on the website. In 2019 another village resident, Jon Grant, took over from Rupert as custodian of the archive. If you have an enquiry about Chipstead's history or have material that you would like to contribute to the archive please contact Jon through CVPS@chipsteadvillage.org

Professor Trevor Powles, CBE. MD. PhD. FRCP.

Professor Trevor Powles is a leading oncologist specialising in the study of breast cancer, with an international reputation in pioneering treatment. Trevor has worked for most of his career at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton, and has lived in Chipstead with his wife Penny for nearly 40 years.

247 Years of Education in Chipstead

In July 1993 Surrey County Council closed Chipstead First School and brought to an end 247 years of formal schooling in Chipstead. So ended a chapter in the life of the Village which had its beginnings in local charity and finally became a state primary school. From its first location as the Mary Stephens School in Outwood Lane the school moved up the hill to Shabden cottages and subsequently to the purpose built premises on High Road near Markedge Lane, which date from 1874. This spans a period of 247 years.

The Aubertins of St. Margaret’s

In the 19th century, St. Margaret’s Church in Chipstead was dominated by two Rectors, the Peter Aubertins, father and son, whose combined tenure lasted over 80 years and resulted in significant restoration and enhancement to the church structure.

Mark Banham, a Reforming Farmer

This article is based on a lecture given by Mark Banham of Shabden Park Farm, at the AGM of the Chipstead Village Preservation Society in the Peter Aubertin Hall on 12 June 2012.

The Surrey Green Belt

Probably more than any other single factor, the Surrey Green Belt has protected Chipstead from high density development and has preserved the village atmosphere we all still enjoy today. The Surrey Green Belt is, of course, part of the Metropolitan Green Belt encircling London, and other English cities also have green belts, making up a total national area of over 4 million acres. There are similar arrangements in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

James Frederick Bradshaw 1916-2012

Chipstead's Greengrocer 1952-1983

Mrs. Nichols - Memories of Coulsdon and Chipstead

Mrs. Nichols was born in 1872 and was interviewed by W.G.Tharby of the Bourne Society in 1962. Her account spans the late Victorian period and the early 20th century, during which she lived at a number of addresses in Coulsdon and Chipstead.

Exploring the Hamlet of Old Mugswell

Before the coming of the railway in 1899, the village of Chipstead that we know today consisted mainly of farmland, including Elmore Pond Farm, Dean Farm, Hazelwood Farm and Doggetts Farm. These farms were partly built over, mainly between1899 and 1939, to create the residential area of Chipstead, although some of the farms, including Shabden and Starrock Farms, continue today. So before 1899 the main residential area within the parish of Chipstead was at Mugswell in the south, which included the Old Rectory for St. Margaret’s Church, and, for the Rector, a hike or pony and trap ride of about 2 miles to the church!

"Memories of Chipstead" by Fred Little

“Memories of Chipstead” is a wonderful account of rural life in Chipstead between 1901 and 1920, including those gentle, bucolic days before the First World War. They make a valuable contribution to Chipstead’s folklore. They are written by Fred Little, who lived his early life in Bashford Cottage, Southerns Lane, Mugswell, and later in Starrock Lane, Chipstead. Fred was born in 1898.

Mrs Angela Fraser DL - Half a Lifetime of Community Service

Angela Fraser came to Chipstead with her parents as a young lady of 21 years. She was to go on to live in Chipstead for over 60 years, during which time she has had a long and distinguished career in local government. This included 21 years as a borough councillor for Reigate and Banstead, including one as Mayor, and 28 years as a county councillor for Surrey, including two years as Chairman.

The Grange - 1899-2012

This is the history of The Grange in Hazelwood Lane, one of the earliest of the grand houses in Chipstead. It was built soon after the stimulus generated by the opening of Chipstead railway station in 1899, which transformed Chipstead over the succeeding 40 years into the residential area we know today.

The Taking of Thiepval by Reg G Emmett (1895 – 1991)

As we entered the month of July 2016, our memories went back to the Battle of the Somme which began 100 years earlier on the 1st July 1916. In the space of four and a half months about 500,000 British and Empire soldiers were killed, the greatest loss of life in a single campaign in the entire history of the British Army.

Chipstead`s Lost River

"When Croydone Bourn doth upwards ryse, disaster dyre before us lyse" So runs the warning from Camden`s Britannia of 1586. After the floods of winter 2013/14, will 2014 be recognised as the year when disasters struck?

The Brewsters Of Longshaw

Marion and Trevor Brewster have been the most remarkable couple, contributing so much to Chipstead life over the last fifty years.

The Search for "Lilac Cottage"

This is the story of the Cox family, who lived in Mugswell in Victorian times. It is also the story of a painstaking search for the family cottage in Mugswell by our former Village Archivist, Rupert Courtenay-Evans: