Chipstead Village

Surrey

Village Archive

The Village Archive offers a wonderful exploration of Chipstead through the ages, mainly seen through the writings of residents, past and present.

It is the brainchild of our former Village Archivist, Rupert Courtenay Evans and Barry Pepper, who led the team developing this website. Over the years Rupert has collected many books, photographs and records which form the village archive. An index of what we have is included here.

In 2011 Rupert and Barry decided that it would be a good idea to digitise parts of the written archive and put it on the website. In 2019 another village resident, Jon Grant, took over from Rupert as custodian of the archive. If you have an enquiry about Chipstead's history or have material that you would like to contribute to the archive please contact Jon through CVPS@chipsteadvillage.org

Wendy and Colin Vaughan

Wendy and Colin Vaughan have made many important contributions to village life in Chipstead for over fifty years. Wendy has been a guiding light in the creation and organisation of village events. She received an MBE for her support to a wide variety of charities. Colin was one of the founding members of Chipstead Rugby Club. He created the arboretum at Embers Shaw and has served on the Chipstead Preservation Society committee for ten years.

Chipstead's agricultural past

A review of farming in the parish from 1086 to the current day

Rev John N Wates OBE

Two generations of the Wates family have lived at Elmore for nearly ninety years. The Chipstead Flower Show and Fair has been hosted there since 1910. Rev John Wates has supported St. Margaret’s Church in various ministries for 40 years.

A Short History of Chipstead Golf Club

In 2010, the Chipstead Golf Club committee asked Robert Heppenstall, a long standing member of the club, to write an illustrated booklet about the club’s history. The result was “The History of Chipstead Golf Club”, which was published in 2011. This article includes edited highlights from the booklet:

Chipstead’s Fallen in the Great War

The Chipstead War Memorial on Church Green was unveiled on the 3rd April 1920

Canon Christopher Blair-Fish 1920 - 2010

Canon Christopher Blair-Fish was Rector at St. Margaret’s Church, Chipstead from 1973 to 1989. The following is an obituary to Christopher by Rev John Wates, which was published in St. Margaret‘s Parish Magazine in November 2010.

Politics, Parsons and Progress

An historical reflection on Chipstead by Rupert Courtenay-Evans

Professor Trevor Powles, CBE. MD. PhD. FRCP.

Professor Trevor Powles is a leading oncologist specialising in the study of breast cancer, with an international reputation in pioneering treatment. Trevor has worked for most of his career at the Royal Marsden Hospital in Sutton, and has lived in Chipstead with his wife Penny for nearly 40 years.

247 Years of Education in Chipstead

In July 1993 Surrey County Council closed Chipstead First School and brought to an end 247 years of formal schooling in Chipstead. So ended a chapter in the life of the Village which had its beginnings in local charity and finally became a state primary school. From its first location as the Mary Stephens School in Outwood Lane the school moved up the hill to Shabden cottages and subsequently to the purpose built premises on High Road near Markedge Lane, which date from 1874. This spans a period of 247 years.

The Aubertins of St. Margaret’s

In the 19th century, St. Margaret’s Church in Chipstead was dominated by two Rectors, the Peter Aubertins, father and son, whose combined tenure lasted over 80 years and resulted in significant restoration and enhancement to the church structure.

Mark Banham, a Reforming Farmer

This article is based on a lecture given by Mark Banham of Shabden Park Farm, at the AGM of the Chipstead Village Preservation Society in the Peter Aubertin Hall on 12 June 2012.

The Surrey Green Belt

Probably more than any other single factor, the Surrey Green Belt has protected Chipstead from high density development. This article describes the evolution of the Green Belt, with particular reference to Chipstead, and also describes the other planning restrictions such as AONB and SSSIs that have helped preserve the countryside and village that we enjoy today.

James Frederick Bradshaw 1916-2012

Chipstead's Greengrocer 1952-1983

Mrs. Nichols - Memories of Coulsdon and Chipstead

Mrs. Nichols was born in 1872 and was interviewed by W.G.Tharby of the Bourne Society in 1962. Her account spans the late Victorian period and the early 20th century, during which she lived at a number of addresses in Coulsdon and Chipstead.

Exploring the Hamlet of Old Mugswell

Before the coming of the railway in 1899, the village of Chipstead that we know today consisted mainly of farmland, including Elmore Pond Farm, Dean Farm, Hazelwood Farm and Doggetts Farm. These farms were partly built over, mainly between1899 and 1939, to create the residential area of Chipstead, although some of the farms, including Shabden and Starrock Farms, continue today. So before 1899 the main residential area within the parish of Chipstead was at Mugswell in the south, which included the Old Rectory for St. Margaret’s Church, and, for the Rector, a hike or pony and trap ride of about 2 miles to the church!