Village News4th Mar 2017 Last updated at 18:02
A New Spate of Burglaries
Surrey Police advise that there have been a number of burglaries in the Banstead, Tadworth and Kingswood areas. The police advise as follows:
“We cannot stress the importance of information given to us by members of the public so if a neighbour has been a victim of a burglary and you have received a letter asking for information, please take this opportunity to think about the day before the burglary as well as the day of the incident.
In the mean time please consider these suggestions to protect your own property and share this information with a neighbour who may not have the Internet or may not have joined In The Know at this time:
- Ensure all doors and windows are locked at all times regardless of how long you will be.
- Check and set your burglar alarm, asking your neighbours to call us if they hear it whilst you are out.
- Ensure the side or back gate is shut and locked and do not leave refuse bins near the gate for someone to climb over.
- Lock your shed and garage, keeping all gardening tools away from burglars who may wish to use them to gain entry.
- Park your car in the garage or consider asking someone on the insurance to turn it around or move it on occasions whilst you are away.
- Never leave any keys near windows or doors. You may not realise they have been taken until it's too late.
- Make sure the curtains are shut and some lights are on if you are going out in the evening. However you may wish to consider leaving a light on during the day time suggesting someone is at home.
- Ensure all personal belongings are not left on show for opportunists.
- If you go on holiday or are away regularly then please let a neighbour know so that they can keep an eye out for you.
- Use of timer switches on lights/a radio throughout the property at all times.
- Don't advertise the fact that you are away by allowing the milk, papers and post to remain building up on the doorstep. Ask a neighbour perhaps to visit your property to tidy away any left-over mail by the front door.
- Consider installing sensor lights outside your home or consider CCTV.
- Report any suspicious persons or cars in your area and please take the time to note as much detail as possible before calling the police. For example the direction of travel or better still a licence plate but only if it is safe to do so.
- Register your most valued items or your most sentimental items on IMMOBILSE.com.
If you require further crime prevention advice, please contact your local neighbourhood officer or crime prevention adviser. If you wish to discuss a burglary issue or any point above then please contact me
Carmen Lambert Singer
NSO for Northern area of Reigate and Banstead