Tithe Map

Tithe Map of 1847 showing landowners, farms and the numbering system for fields

Up to the 19th century in England, tithes (from the Old English for tenth) were a voluntary payment to the local church by farmers and landowners of approximately 10% of the produce the land, normally in the form of agricultural products. Tithes were collected by the Rector of the local church as alms and for payment of his services. In 1836 tithes were commuted into cash payments, and very accurate maps were created for each 'tithe district' so that payment could be apportioned.

This tithe map for the parish of Chipstead shows that most of the land was divided into tenant farms. The largest landowner was Sir William Hylton Jolliffe of Merstham House, whose father bought the Manor of Chipstead in the 1790's. Jolliffe's decendents took the title Lord Hylton of Merstham and the farmland known as the Hylton Estate continues to this day.

The Shabden estate with its large mansion and extensive grounds almost down to the Brighton Road dominated the parish. The map cuts off sharply at the northern parish boundary with Woodmansterne so only a fraction of the Stagbury estate along the Chipstead valley is shown. Doggett's Farm, part of the Stagbury estate, is now Chipstead Golf Club. Elmore Pond Farm was divided into the Elmore and Longshaw estates in the late 19th century.

To the south lay the Glebe, an area of land given to St Margaret's Church by local landowners for the use of the Rector and his domestic staff. The elder Rev Peter Aubertin restored the old Rectory on this land in 1808 and he, and subsequently his son, lived there for over 80 years. The Rectory is now owned by Harry Hyams, the property tycoon, who is not resident.

Note the former Star Inn to the north-east on the old Brighton road. This was Hooley's village pub, now demolished for road widening.

A high quality colour print of this map is available from the CVPS.