The Great Estates

By the 1850's the principal estates in Chipstead were Shabden, Eyhurst, Stagbury, Pirbright, and Reeves Rest, but in 1866 Elmore became the first of a series of large houses to be built over the following 50 years by the gentry whose principal source of income lay in a business career in London.

During this period imposing mansions with large estates were built, including Starrock Court (1868), Longshaw (1888) and Eyhurst Court (1900).