One of the other main estates in Chipstead was Longshaw, which had its own dairy farm and about 30 acres of land running from Hazelwood Lane down to Outwood Lane, including Dene Farm. In the early part of the 20th century the property was owned by G H Bravington, chairman of Bravington's, the jewellery retailers. He loved horses, and kept 20 thoroughbred horses in the stables and a pack of drag hounds in kennels at the bottom of Castle Road. Sadly, hunting with horses came to a temporary end in 1914, when all available horses were requisitioned to the Western Front.
Kenneth Stoddart acquired the estate in the 1920's, and when he died in the 1960's the estate was left to Surrey County Council on condition that it would be preserved as green belt land. The house then became a residential home for old ladies.
In 1964 two fields known as Gatefield and Hartfield were given to Banstead Urban District Council by Kenneth Stoddart and Norman Wates of Elmore for use as public open space and playing fields, which became Chipstead Meads.
In 1978 the Chipstead Village Preservation Society acquired Longshaw on an ambitious self financing plan which involved selling off parts of the house and estate at the same time as the purchase went through. The house was converted it into eight apartments. At the same time the stable block was sold to the Chipstead Players who subsequently converted it into the Courtyard Theatre.