Peter Aubertin Hall
In 1906 the Peter Aubertin Hall was built on land given by Lord Hylton. The cost was donated by Miss Charlotte Aubertin, daughter and sister of the two rectors of that name, as a memorial to their lives and services to the parish.
Over the years the hall has served many purposes – as a Sunday school, a theatre for the Chipstead Players, a polling station during elections, and a sports hall. It is currently used for hosting the CRA and CVPS annual general meetings, afternoon and evening meetings of the various clubs and societies, and fund raising lunches.
Perhaps the most spectacular achievement of the Chipstead community in World War II was the factory organized in the Peter Aubertin Hall. On the 19th June 1940 Mrs Neame of Sopers Cottage and Mrs Brooks of Merstham (a member of staff at the Royal School of Needlework) began training Chipstead women in the art of covering aircraft wings, ailerons and rudders with fabric, and in the production of lifejackets. To the end of 1944, the Chipstead Aero Supply Co had completed over 100 airframe unit components and 12,449 lifejackets.
A complete overhaul of the building was carried out in 1995, which included a new porch and reception area, a modernised kitchen and a new stage, with funds provided by the CVPS and many well-wishers.