Chipstead's Rectors

There have been 56 incumbents of the Rectory beginning with William de Brompton who died in 1313. The longest tenure of 55 years was that of John Griffiths, and the two Peter Aubertins, father and son, jointly held the living for 81 years. Rectors over the past 300 years are:

1718 – 1740 John Tattersall   1913 – 1920 William Henry Stone
1740 – 1747 William Lamb   1920 – 1939 John William Morris
1747 – 1753 James Pipe   1939 – 1945 Thomas Grigg-Smith
1753 – 1808 John Griffiths   1945 – 1948 Kenneth Percival Smith
1808 – 1861 Peter Aubertin (elder)   1948 – 1973 Christopher E A Harford
1861 – 1889 Peter Aubertin (younger)   1973 – 1990 Christopher J Blair-Fish
1889 – 1902 Charles Gordon Young   1990 – 2005 John M P Goodden
1902 – 1913 James Hervey   2005 - Patrick Bateman

A history of St Margaret's Church would be incomplete without mentioning the valuable contribution provided by the Rev'd John Wates of Elmore.In 2007 John celebrated 25 years of ministry in the parish of Chipstead, first as a Reader licensed to St Margaret's Church and latterly as a non-stipendary Minister when he was ordained in 2002.