St Margaret's Church
No mention is made of a parish church in Chipstead in the Domesday Book, but this is not unusual where a parish church was clearly in existence prior to the Survey. The present church probably dates from 1185. However, the narrow triangular-headed windows of the chancel are similar to an earlier architectural style, which may indicate the retention of a feature of a pre-existing building. In addition, the old Norman north doorway displays proportions similar to Anglo-Saxon doorways as seen in St. Nicholas' Church in Worth.
The unusual siting of the church on the very edge of the parish boundary was probably more for the convenience of the lay landholder than the local parishioners. From the reign of King John to the 15th century, the church was significantly enlarged, which resulted in a rather magnificent church for a thinly populated downland parish - in marked contrast to the more modest structures of nearby Woodmansterne and Caterham.