Lords of the Manor
In the early centuries, England was divided into manors belonging to noblemen who often took the title of Lord of the Manor. A manor was a district over which the court of the Lord of the Manor had authority, and the manorial courts exercised the administration of the manor from the manor house.
There seems never to have been a resident Lord of the Manor in Chipstead until the 17th and 18th centuries. The first mention of a court of the Manor of Chipstead being held was in 1234 by Roger de Clare, brother of the 1st Earl of Gloucester. The de Clare family held the manor for eight generations, until the 16th century. Gilbert, the famous 'Red Earl', played off the Barons against the King and was regarded as a traitor. The 4th Earl was killed at Bannockburn in 1314.
There followed a series of non-resident Lords of the Manor, until it passed to the Owfields of Gatton in the 17th century and then to the Tattersalls of Upper Gatton Park in the 18th century, when Upper Gatton, located just outside the parish boundary, was used as the manor house for Chipstead. The manor house was demolished in 1948, but an annexe survives as a private residence.
When John Tattersall died in 1769, John Fanshawe of the Shabden estate attempted to purchase the Manor, which would have resulted in Chipstead having its first fully resident Lord of the Manor of Chipstead with the manorial courts held at Shabden. He was, however, outbid by William Jolliffe of Merstham House, and subsequent members of the Jolliffe family, under the title of Lord Hylton, continued as Lords of the Manor for Chipstead until the 1960s. The only peer to have used the village name as part of his title was Sir Horace Brooks Marshall of Shabden, who took the title Baron Marshall of Chipstead in 1922.