There has been a settlement at Chipstead for over 1000 years. Chipstead is first recorded in the 7th and 8th centuries when 500 acres belonging to Pirbright Manor were given to Chertsey Abbey. This area was administered from the Abbey's Manor of Coulsdon.
In 1086 the Domesday Survey records that Chipstead consisted of two manors within the Hundred of Churchfelle. A Hundred was a sub-division of a County dating from before the Norman Conquest and supposed to contain a hundred families. The name Churchfelle was the old name for Reigate. The Churchfelle Hundred comprised of Chipstead, Merstham, Gatton, Buckland, Reigate, Nutfield and Worth and included parts of Newdigate, Charlwood, Horley and Kingswood. The population of the two manors comprised 21 households of about 100 souls.
A number of surviving properties and estates in Chipstead have a very long history. Pirbright Manor on Hogscross Lane dates from 1242, and was the site of the ancient manor house of Peter de Perefrith. Eyhurst, a name derived from the Saxon Iw Hurst, may be an estate mentioned in the Domesday Survey as Orde. The principal mansion in the parish from the 18th century onward was Shabden Park, with its estate of approximately 500 acres.
Chipstead continued as an isolated rural parish over the early centuries, principally involved in sheep farming, since the poor quality downland soil was never really suited to arable farming. The ordinary people of the village would be employed as farm labourers or as domestic servants to the landowners.